Wednesday, May 25, 2005

FROM CAMPBELL'S KITCHEN



TOFU SALAD


Take a bar of Tofu (I use a 16 ounce "Fine Herbs" type, because it's more interesting, but any type of tofu will do), chop it up fine. I find the best method is to use a cleaver and cut it up on a cutting board. Then transfer to a suitable bowl.

Add a few gloops of Miracle Whip (or other mayonnaise -- I use about a third of a 14-ounce jar), stir it around with a fork until it's mixed.

A few sprinkles of cayenne pepper, mix this in. (Optional: but to give it a bit of zest...)

Add green onions, chopped fine. (I use about three sprigs)

Add about half a red bell pepper, chopped (green will also do, of course, but I prefer red).

Add tomato, chopped. (I tend to prefer about 10 cherry tomatoes, cut up three or four ways -- but that's me).

Mix it all in, of course, and add salt & pepper to taste...

Other possible add-ins: chopped fresh parsely, chives, celery, baby carrots, or even adult carrots chopped small enough....

Serve with toasted English muffins, bagels, on rye toast, or just as a side-salad. It's actually quite filling...and truly delicious.

No comments: