Monday, January 16, 2006

Back...

I should have forseen a week ago Sunday that I wouldn't be posting, as it was quite obvious that the coming week was going to be crazy. By day I was marking CEGEP English Exit exams at Dawson College, and by evening (at least Mon-Wed. evenings), doing my English Second Language teaching gig at a Board of Education Adult Centre in Montreal North. Will be resuming posting now that I've recovered, and the coast is (somewhat) clear.

_________________

Nore than 90% of the visits I get are from North America, but for the past month, just for the fun of it, I've kept track of hits on my site meter from "exotic" place names that set my imagination stirring. These include:

Lilyfield, New South Wales, Australia
Al Manamah, Bahrain
Nova Lima, Brazil
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Bogota, Colombia
Bagsvrd, Denmark
Byrudyvester, Kobenhavn (Copenhagen?), Denmark
San Salvador, El Salvador
Cuverville, Basse-Normandie, France
Budapest, Hungary
Reykjavk, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Mumbai, India
Bhubaneshwar, India
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Monfalcone, Italy
Shahrak-e Qods, Tehran, Iran
Haifa, Israel
Asahi, Chiba, Japan
Abashiri, Hokkaido, Japan
Yamaguchi, Japan
Nairobi, Kenya
Seoul, Korea
Kuwait
Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
Guadalajara, Mexico
Chisinau, Moldova
Casablanca, Morocco
Neventer, Netherlands
Aukland, New Zealand
Managua, Nicaragua
Vre Rdal, Norway
Islamabad, Pakistan
Makati, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
Krakow, Malopolskie, Poland
Aguirre, Puerto Rico
Dakar, Singapore
Lima, Peru
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Stockholm, Sweden
Örebro, Sweden
Taipei, Taiwan
Ban Bang Phai, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Trk, Burdur, Turkey
Caracas, Venezuela

North American locations that struck my fancy include:

Brick, New Jersey
Opa Locka, Florida
Topeka, Kansas
Elk Mound, Wisconsin
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Alamosa, Colorado
Great Neck, New York
Thousand Oaks, California

I enjoy two-word place names. And Indian names. And names like "Brick". May I get more in from the likes of Doorknob, Texas, and Chatanooga, Choo Choo.

But my favourite of all has to be this one, which I've seen quite a few times:

? Unknown Country

That's the country where I'm from.

3 comments:

brambled said...

Great isn't it?

and then there's the google searches people reach you by-

my favourite was 'mothers licking mothers.'

Does Belgium count as exotic?Do I make your list?

Brian Campbell said...

Funny, Germany didn't make it onto my exotic list, nor Paris, France -- although other locations in France did. Rome, Italy didn't make it, but other Italian locations did. Belgium is "borderline", along with the Netherlands. Spain, though, is definitely exotic. England didn't rate because it's the Mother Country, and the Mother Country can't be considered exotic -- although some offbeat place like the Orkney Islands would rate. Limerick, Ireland would rate, but Dublin is out. Any major country where English is the 1st language is out -- except Australia and India (and in India, it's questionable if any language would be considered "1st"). Peculiar notion this, exotic...

Anne Haines said...

If I ever find myself in French Lick, Indiana with internet access, I'll hit your blog just to give you the amusement. :)