Thursday, May 18, 2006

Post Script

The Girl With No Hands Cabaret was quite fun. About a hundred people there, or so it seemed -- so it had to be a fundraising success. Because I taught that evening, I didn't arrive until the second half -- but all the performances I saw were professional and engaging. Johanna Nutter's solo play was touching, and one Derick Lengwenus did a hilarious routine where, playing a surgeon in a labcoat, he demonstrated a surgical operation on a banana, replacing a lesion in its skin with a graft from a "donor lemon", with deadpan commentary about the risk of emotional attachment to the patient, the ethical issues of such transplants, etc. Well, I guess you had to be there. To me though the standout performance was Harry Stadjovski (or Standjofski), better known as an actor/playwrite, who also it turns out, plays a mean jazz guitar. Virtuosic riffs over his own loops recorded on the spot -- I've seen that kind of thing done before, and it always struck me as gimmicky, but the way he did it was tasteful, natural, not showing off at all. And yet as for sheer virtuosity...Al De Meola watch out! (Well, at least HS invites that comparison...) As for my own performance, I was the last before the closer, so I did some funny and satirical pieces that went over well.

No comments: