Monday, May 04, 2009

Frederick Seidel

Today's poetry.org daily poem is an engaging oddball choice. I had never heard of this guy, but would like to read more of his work. Click on the his name to read about the extreme controversy his first book stirred up.

Ode to Spring
by Frederick Seidel


I can only find words for.
And sometimes I can't.
Here are these flowers that stand for.
I stand here on the sidewalk.

I can't stand it, but yes of course I understand it.
Everything has to have meaning.
Things have to stand for something.
I can't take the time. Even skin-deep is too deep.

I say to the flower stand man:
Beautiful flowers at your flower stand, man.
I'll take a dozen of the lilies.
I'm standing as it were on my knees

Before a little man up on a raised
Runway altar where his flowers are arrayed
Along the outside of the shop.
I take my flames and pay inside.

I go off and have sexual intercourse.
The woman is the woman I love.
The room displays thirteen lilies.
I stand on the surface.

No comments: